Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Supporters of embattled Yoruba activist, Sunday Adeyemo aka Sunday Igboho, yesterday took to the streets of Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, to protest his arrest and detention by the Beninese authorities. They were heard singing the Yourba Nation anthem and chanting “Igboho Oosa”, “Free Igboho now now”.
2. The Southeast secessionist group, Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB has disclosed that Mazi Simon Ekpa may be relieved of his appointment as Biafra radio broadcaster over his failure to follow laid down rules of operation. In a statement by IPOB’s Media and Publicity Secretary, Emma Powerful, the group said Ekpa has refused to sign the rules of engagement and code of conduct guiding those broadcasting on Radio Biafra.
3. Many people have been killed in a fresh communal crisis between Ochoro and Bonta communities of Konshisha Local Government Area of Benue State, leading to the destruction of several houses. Chairman of Oju LGA, Clement Onaa, confirmed the incident to newsmen in Makurdi.
4. The All Progressives Congress (APC) has said that at the appropriate time, it will come up with a consensus and agreeable presidential candidate for 2023. Sen. John Akpanudoehede, National Secretary, APC Caretaker and Extra-ordinary Convention Planning Committee (CECPC), stated this in a statement issued in Abuja.
5. Unknown gunmen, suspected to be kidnappers, have abducted madam Betinah Benson, 80-year-old mother of the Secretary to Bayelsa State Government (SSG), Rt. Hon. Konbowei Friday Benson. The police spokesman in the state, SP Asinim Butswat confirmed the incident in a statement in Yenagoa on Wednesday.
6. Tragedy struck in Kwara State on Wednesday, as fumes from a generator killed four people. The incident occurred at the Ojomu family compound in Sanmora, Irepodun Local Government Area of Kwara. The Police Public Relations Officer of the Kwara State Command, Ajayi Okasanmi, confirmed the development.
7. The Federal Road Safety Corps in Ogun has confirmed the death of nine people in an accident involving two vehicles on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway on Wednesday. The Sector Commander of FRSC in the State, Mr Ahmed Umar said that 16 other persons sustained varying degrees of injuries.
8. Two persons have been killed in Udianga Enem community in Etim Ekpo Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State. The village head, Josiah Udoekoriko, reportedly fled his palace for safety. The Police Public Relations Officer, Odiko Macdon confirmed the incident.
9. The Nigerian Air Force, on Wednesday, said only Flight Lieutenant Abayomi Dairo was on its fighter jet which crashed during an operation against bandits in Zamfara and Kaduna states’ forests on Sunday. The Director of Public Relations and Information, NAF, Commodore Edward Gabkwet, gave the explanation yesterday.
10. The Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP), on Wednesday, accused the Federal Government of appointing five unqualified rectors out of the six polytechnics recently established by the federal government. National President of ASUP, Anderson Ezeibe made this known at the 100th National Executive Council (NEC) meeting of ASUP held at the Federal Polytechnic, Auchi, Edo State.